Clipped From The Indianapolis Star

speell Member Photo

Clipped by speell

 - Pair Dies After Trip For Food An early-morning...
Pair Dies After Trip For Food An early-morning dnve to a restaurant ended yesterday with the carbon monoxide deaths of a young Indianapolis Marine and his sister-in-law in their mud-mired automobile. The bodies of Pvt. Donald C. Moore, 21 years old, and Mrs. Elizabeth Eads Moore, 35, were discovered by a newspaper carrier about 9 a.m. in their car sunk in the mud near 560 South Fuller Drive. Moore, on leave from Camp Pendleton, Cal., lived at 625 South Whitcomb Avenue and Mrs. Moore resided at 1245 South Shepard Street. The cap is believed to have gotten stuck about 1 a.m. yesterday. Mrs. May Mitchell, 75, who lives at 560 South Fuller Drive, said Moore came to her home about that time and asked if anyone was around who could help get the car on the road. MRS. MITCHELL said she told him there wasn't anyone available but offered the use of her telephone to call a wrecker. Moore told her, she said, that he would go back to the car and might use the phone later. Mrs. Mitchell related that she went back to bed and shortly later heard another car drive in, stop, and then leave again. She assumed the second car had picked up Moore and his companion, she said. Mrs. Mitchell said ariews-paper carrier came to her door shortly before 9 a.m. yesterday and told her two people were asleep in a car outside. About that time, she said, a Sunday School bus arrived and the driver said he would free the car but didn't have a chain. He wanted to leave and return later but Mrs. Mitchell insisted they investigate the car first. When there was no response to a knock on the car window, Mrs. Mitchell said she opened a door of the car and realized the couple was either dead or dying. Sheriff's Deputy Robert M. Smith said when he arrived and opened the car the fumes were "strong enough to knock you down." Both exhaust pipes of the 1955 Chrysler were plugged with mud, he said, and the .motor would have had to run only a short time before fumes entered the car. DR. JAMES W. Anderson, Marion County deputy coroner, ruled the deaths were accidental and listed carbon monoxide poisoning as the cause. Another brother of the dead Marine, James E. Moore, 26, 130 Furman Drive, said that Donald, Mrs. Moore and her husband, Herman S. Moore Jr., had been visiting him Saturday night when Donald and Mrs. Moore decided to go get something to eat. They had planned to return and pick Turn to Page 12, Column 3

Clipped from
  1. The Indianapolis Star,
  2. 30 Dec 1957, Mon,
  3. Page 1

speell Member Photo
  • Clipped by speell – 11 Jul 2018

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in